“The study of magic is not a science, it is not an art, and it is not a religion. Magic is a craft. When we do magic, we do not wish and we do not pray. We rely upon our will and our knowledge and our skill to make a specific change to the world.
This is not to say that we understand magic, in the sense that physicists understand what atomic particles do whatever it is that they do. Or perhaps they don’t understand that yet, I can never remember. In any case, we do not and cannot understand what magic is, or where it comes from, any more than a carpenter understands why a tree grows. He doesn’t have to. He works with what he has.”
– Lev Grossman, The Magicians
Last week we covered the first 16 signs that you might be a magician. Today, we finish up with the remaining 24.
17. You’re a puzzle solver. You’re a problem solver. You’re a fixer.
18. You tire of things and people easily when it’s the same “over and over” again.
19. You’re dependable and loyal. But you’re also full of initiative. Others can trust that you will be a powerhouse when needed.
20. You don’t believe that magicians walk through walls. You believe there’s always an explainable and doable way around, through, or over something. That doesn’t mean you’re not above letting someone else think you’ve just done the impossible.
21. Your imagination generally runs wild with all the possibilities that are presented to you on an hourly basis. Your challenge is choosing the possibility that will yield you the most productive results.
22. You believe that rules apply to everyone else – just not you. “Do as you will so long as you harm none,” is a maxim you would do well to follow.
23. You’ve learned that networking with other magicians is the surest way to perfect your own craft.
24. You also learned – long ago – there’s nothing new under the sun. However, you also know that, so long as you’re part of the new mix, unparalleled magic can happen.
25. You can be quite narrow minded when it comes to the result you want to manifest.
26. Magic is seen by others as uncertain, sporadic, and unforeseeable. You, on the other hand, know that magic is controllable, manageable, and inevitable. You’ve learned how to call on your personal magic so that it responds when, where, and as needed.
27. You understand that one of the essential rewards of magic is seeing its effects on others. Still, you savor your time alone.
28. When you’re fixed on an outcome you want to manifest, you are resolute and stubborn.
29. You have a select and well-tended group of close friends – the people who “get you.” After all, you are an acquired taste.
30. You don’t need as much sleep as everyone else. The world is full of magic and enchantment and things waiting to capture your imagination. You can’t wait to wake up to that.
31. You understand what others need to see to be entertained and consumed and beguiled. You’ve done your study as to the words and body language you need to show in order to cast your spell.
32. You don’t waste your time with those who would waste your time.
33. And you feel like you’re running out of time.
34. There are those who think you’ve gone “around the bend” at times. Hell, you’re a magician. It’s your job to manifest something from nothing and create wonder in the world. If that’s not a bit loopy, I don’t know what is.
35. You don’t just believe in magic, you believe your magical. It’s a calling. It’s a need. It’s more than just a feeling. It’s part of who you are.
36. You don’t believe in coincidences. Things happen for a reason. And good things happen to you a lot.
37. You believe that your instincts are most important than all the book learning in the world.
38. You know that The Matrix, Inception, and Limitless were really documentaries.
39. The thoughts and visions in your head would be difficult for most people to keep up with. And you’re passionate about each and every one of them.
40. You live and love to spread the magic! You know that magic needs to be shared. And it needs to be used or it moves on.
So – there you have it. 40 signs that you might be a magician. How’d you do?
The world is full of people who don’t or can’t believe in magic. Theirs is a world of reaction, fear, and making do. There are a few of you, however, who have stepped out into the world, exerted your magical wills, and are shaping this place in your own images. Here’s to your continued magical success!
If you enjoyed any of these articles, I’d be grateful if you click below to share this with others. That’s right, go ahead and help spread this information by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or Google+. Thank you!
And make sure to sign up for my blog mailing list so you get all future postings delivered directly to your inbox.